When your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) are working properly, you’ll never even know they are there. If you have a TMJ disorder, though, you’ll be acutely aware of them. That’s because even simple movements like yawning and chewing food will cause pain. Fortunately, we can relieve your pain with TMJ treatment in Rockport.Pain Relief for Your Jaw and Teeth Read Transcript
We see a lot of people that show signs of clenching or grinding their teeth. That shows up in the exam, and we help treat that by fabricating occlusal guards, or occlusal orthotic is what some people call it. Some people think of it as an athletic mouthguard, but it really helps protect the teeth from wear and breaking. So if you've been noticing some tightness in your jaw muscle or joint pain, or maybe you noticed that your teeth have gotten shorter over time, give our office a call. Let's see what we can do to help you.
Our treatment will:
- Enable you to use your jaw without discomfort
- Keep pain from spreading from your jaw to your neck, shoulders, and other areas
- Prevent you from clenching your jaw and grinding your teeth, two habits that can damage tooth enamel
- Reduce the frequency of headaches, earaches, and other associated symptoms
If you suffer from chronic jaw pain or other TMJ symptoms, call us today at 361-209-8609. Common symptoms of a TMJ disorder include lockjaw, frequent headaches, and facial swelling, especially near the jaw.
Eliminate Problematic Behaviors With A Custom Mouthguard
Though no one knows exactly what causes TMJ disorders, numerous factors can worsen your discomfort. Two of the most common are teeth grinding (bruxism) and jaw clenching. Since these behaviors often occur during sleep, you may not even be aware of them. If you typically awaken with a sore jaw, you may want to have our team check you out. Your dentist will also carefully examine your teeth for signs of grinding-related damage during every dental exam.
To stop this problematic habit, we can fit you for a custom mouthguard. Your custom-made mouthguard will:
- Offer a more comfortable fit than a store-bought mouthguard
- Stop you from damaging your tooth enamel by preventing teeth grinding
- Keep your jaw in a relaxed position while you sleep so you can get a good night’s rest
- Relieve pressure on your jaw so it has a chance to naturally heal
For TMJ treatment in Rockport, call Sabal Dental at 361-209-8609. We’re happy to help!