You may have never heard of your temporomandibular joints (TMJ), the joints that connect your jaw to the rest of your skull. You’ll be acutely aware of them if you have a TMJ disorder, though, because it will likely hurt to open and close your mouth. Fortunately, you can receive TMJ treatment in McAllen at Sabal Dental.Protect Your Teeth Read Transcript
Patients come in all the time saying that their jaw pops or sometimes their jaw locks and that they've had issues with it. They'll wake up with headaches, that type of thing. Here at Sabal Dental, we're able to diagnose the cause of that. Sometimes it can be grinding. Sometimes patients, it's just a genetic thing. We're able to differentiate what it is that's causing it and treat the source of that issue.
One of the ways we treat TMJ pain is by offering customized night guards. We have patients that come in and they sometimes know they're grinders, sometimes not, and they'll say, 'Oh, I've tried an over-the-counter night guard but hated it.' It didn't fit well, or it was kind of loose. Sometimes they like it but oftentimes not. So what we offer here is a unique night guard that fits only you. That way, it's tailored to your teeth and nobody else's.
The treatment will:
- Ease pressure on your jaw so it can heal
- Make it possible to use your jaw without pain for activities like eating and speaking
- Relieve headaches, earaches, and other uncomfortable symptoms
- Help you sleep better so you’re more rested and alert
- Prevent you from clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth, two habits that are found in many patients with TMJ pain
If you suspect you may have a TMJ disorder, schedule a consultation by calling 956-247-4994.
Stop Grinding Teeth With A Custom Mouthguard
Numerous factors may contribute to a TMJ disorder, even poor posture and chewing gum. Two habits that are especially common in those with TMJ dysfunction are grinding your teeth (bruxism) and clenching your jaw. You may not even be aware you have these behaviors since they often happen while you sleep. Our team looks for damage to enamel and other problems caused by grinding during every dental exam. You may also hear about it from other members of your household or awaken with your jaw feeling sore.
To stop clenching and grinding, we can fit you for a custom mouthguard. A custom-fit mouthguard made in our office will:
- Protect your teeth from grinding-related damage like chips and cracks
- Keep your jaw in a relaxed position while you sleep
- Relieve pressure to help heal your jaw
- Provide a better fit than a store-bought mouthguard